Original Thinking: A Radical Revisioning of Time, Humanity, and Nature
Activism & Social Justice
by Miriam Knight     April 30, 2015    
Overall rating 

Style 

Content 

Consciousness 

Deep thinking about who we are and our place in the world

Glenn Aparicio Parry has written a philosophical book that shares insights about common assumptions in the western world about the nature of ideas, rational thinking, and the concept of original thought. Intriguingly, while the phrase “original thought” might bring creativity and “new” ideas to mind, there is a deeper significance to the title of this book with a very different meaning from the idea of the sense of origins, and already existing—that which originally existed, and is already here. Parry makes a case for rational thought being a subset of a greater awareness, and for benefits of restored balance being possible when we allow for larger awareness to move through us.

As founder and past president of the SEED Institute, Parry organized a series of Language of Spirit conferences between indigenous elders, scientists, linguists, and philosophers. These dialogues provide the basis for many of the stories, quotes, and ideas in “Original Thinking.” I am grateful for having participated in the Language of Spirit conferences, and can attest to their ability to illuminate hidden truths and transform peoples’ lives. By delving into the nature of reality and consciousness, the basic concepts explored in those conferences were life changing for me personally, as I experienced a quality of shared awareness with others, and participation in perception of original thought.

“Original Thinking” contains a great deal of the same sense of clarification and transformative presence that I felt while attending the Language of Spirit conferences, and I am grateful to Glenn Parry for sharing highlights of insights from the dialogues in this remarkable book. Parry has a gift for sharing down-to-Earth descriptions of his personal experiences with original thought that gives readers a sense of sharing the journey with him.

“Original Thinking” is the perfect book for anyone interested in indigenous philosophy, consciousness, nature, and environmental awareness. This is the kind of book that can change the world, when read by new generations who wonder how original indigenous peoples were so tuned in to plants, animals, and the natural world. “Original Thinking” will be a beloved reference book on my bookshelf to be savored as initiating a very special kind of meditative journey into original thought. Highly recommended!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering